Saturday, October 2, 2010

Week 5 Readings

Database (Wikipedia)

I found this article somewhat difficult to understand, but there were some interesting points.  I never realized how complex a database is, so it was interesting to learn about DBMSs.  I also didn't know that there were different types of databases (internal, external, and conceptual).  As I understood it, a conceptual database is the go-between or bridge between the internal and external databases.  Also, I never thought about IMDB being a database, though I guess I should have!

Introduction to Metadata:  Setting the Stage (Gilliland)

I found this article to be interesting, and easier to understand than both the Wikipedia article and the Dublin Core Model article.  I hadn't thought about the fact that metadata has been around since people began cataloguing objects, so that was interesting to me.  One of the main things I took away from the article is that the people entering and embedding the metadata need to carefully craft a good core, and make sure that the metadata stays with the object wherever it goes, and updated as new technologies take over.

An Overview of the Dublin Core Data Model (Miller)

This article was difficult to understand, especially since there were many typos and grammar mistakes, but as I understood it, the goal is to get everyone on the same page so that to the extent possible metadata can be used across disciplines.  I especially had difficulty understanding all of the programming stuff, but it definitely made me more grateful to those who understand and do it for a living!

No comments:

Post a Comment