Saturday, November 27, 2010

Comments on this week's readings

Weblogs: their use and application in science and technology libraries

Though I didn't really learn anything new from this article, I still felt that it was informative and interesting to read.  And I definitely feel that weblogs would be beneficial in libraries, especially in regard to keeping everyone on the same page.

 "Using a wiki to manage a library instruction program: Sharing knowledge to better serve patrons"

I also found this to be a very infomative and interesting article.  I'm not very familiar with wikis (other than Wikipedia), but I can see how these, along with weblogs, could be very beneficial in helping with training sessions, and eliminate or greatly reduce the amount of e-mail generated between people working on the same or similar things.  Everything is on the wiki, so you aren't trying to figure out where a particular piece of information might be.  In fact, I think I'll suggest that this be something that we do at my job--I think that it could be of great benefit.

"Creating the academic library folksonomy: Put social tagging to work at your institution"

As someone who has a huge amount of bookmarks on her computer, this article was very relevant to me, and I thought that social tagging was a great idea.  It would probably be a good idea to come up with a particular format for doing the tagging, so that you can remember it when you go looking for it, but I'm going to start trying it!
How a ragtag band created Wikipedia

I thought that this video was excellent.  It was very interesting to me to see how Wikipedia works, and how it has grown and become truly international.  It was surprising to me to see that only 1/3 of the articles are in English, but it's good to know that anyone who wants to access the site won't be hindered by language issues.  I was very impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment