Friday, September 10, 2010

Week 1 Notes

OCLC Report

I found this report very interesting, especially the point about consumers being "format agnostic". The content is what they want, regardless of how they get the content (web, book, etc.). As someone who grew up in a time long before computers were in use by the general population, I love nothing more than sitting down to read a book. But I also love being able to do research on the web, in part because it is easily accessible and less time consuming than going to the library.
 
Clifford Lynch article
 
I hadn't ever really thought about information technology and information technology literacy, but this easy to read article really gave me something to think about.  It is certainlly good to have the basic information literacy skills, but taking it up a level is even better.
 
Lied Library @ Four Years
 
This article was extremely interesting to me.  As someone who has never worked in a library, I wasn't aware of all the time, planning, and especially money that goes into all of the technology, not only at the beginning but as time goes on and new technology becomes available.  I was amazed to see how many times in only 4 years their system had been upgraded.  Wow!
 
Brandt article
 
This article was similar to the Lynch article, and also posed some interesting points.  New worlds are opening up for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment