Saturday, September 25, 2010

Reading Notes

Data Compression (Wikipedia article)

Usually I am able to understand articles on Wikipedia, and this was no exception.  The basic point, as I understood it, is Lossless vs. Lossy compression.  I'll have to read it a couple more times to make sure that I understand it fully.

Data Compression Basics (Parts 1-3)

At first I thought that I wouldn't have trouble understanding the content of these files, especially when the author states at the beginning that "I have tried to use language accessible to anyone without sacrificing....correctness and thoroughness of the information provided."  I was OK until he got into the really technical stuff, and then it was over my head.  As with the Wikipedia article, I understood the basics.  Originally I printed the article, but the printout cut off some of the words, so I ended up reading it online, which gave me a huge headache!!!

Imaging Pittsburgh:  Creating a Shared Gateway to Digital Image Collections of the Pittsburgh Region

This article was really interesting.  I went to the website, and it is awesome!  There are thousands of pictures, and a lot more contributors than there were when the article was written.  I was very impressed, not only with the website itself, but with all of the work that Galloway details in his article.  There are definitely good things as well as challenging things in the process of collaboration.

YouTube and Libraries

This is a really great idea.  I never thought about the power of YouTube to help libraries, but it sounds as though there could be many options for a library to utilize this powerful media outlet, from letting people know what's going on at the local library to giving guided online tours.  The possibilities are many.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with the issue of collaboration. It was a good idea going to the website and realizing that more contributors have been adding their expertise to the project!

    ReplyDelete