Saturday, September 18, 2010

Weekly Readings

Intro to Linux

I thought that this was an interesting article, though a bit hard to comprehend at times.  Linux sounds like a good system, and it's somewhat surprising to learn that a lot of people don't use it.  Perhaps this is because Microsoft Windows has a monopoly on the market, or because very few people have heard of it, or perhaps people are concerned about the fact that it is Open Source software, which could potentially be infected.  I also read a little bit more about it in the Discovering Computers 2011 textbook, and learned that Mozilla uses Linux.  So perhaps more of us use it for certain programs than we realize.

What is Mac OS X

Huh?  This article went right over my head.  I read it twice to try to get at least a small grasp of what the article was saying, but that didn't help much, either.

What is Mac OS X (Wikipedia)

I did find the Wikipedia article on the Mac OS X operating system to be a little easier to comprehend, a little bit more reader friendly. So that helped.  For me, it would be easier to see the system demonstrated so that I could gett a better understanding of it.  I am a visual learner.  I think that's one reason why I like the textbook--there are lots of pictures so that I can see what they are talking about.

An Update on the Windows Roadmap

I liked this article, and thought that the history it covered was interesting.  I also enjoyed the comments (and sometimes intense discussions) of the bloggers.  They definitely have some strong opinions, and are not afraid to state them.

No comments:

Post a Comment